Thursday, January 31, 2008

Evolution vs Creation

As is the norm for most of my non-Christian friends (and even some Christian friend), my brother the Atheist does not believe in Creationism. He's a firm believer in Evolution. Here is an excerpt from chapter 4 in his upcoming book:

"...I see proof every day that we weren’t literally plastered together from clay and dirt by some magical sculptor’s hands, but instead evolved from more primitive life forms. I’m reminded of this every time I trim my toenails, which sadly, according to my wife, isn’t often enough... My wife is convinced that I have toenails solely to torture her when we sleep. But I say they’re not long and sharp, it’s just the angle at which they grow that makes them feel long and sharp when they brush against her leg in the middle of the night. ...Could it be that toenails are proof that we are descended from some other animal, a creature that used its feet to climb trees, dig in the dirt, and defend itself? And if they are proof of such evolutionary beginnings, does that mean we weren’t crafted from clay? And would that mean the Bible is inaccurate?"

What am I to say about this? Clearly his logic drops off a bit - but for those who do not believe that the bible is more than a book written by men over the years, or that the Koran is simply a book a nice guy put together years ago after wanting to split away from the religions of the time, how do we engage in an informed discussion based on scientific facts to help rationalize our belief in Creationism? I tend to fall down on these points quite a lot - and easily say things like "I'm not a religious scholar nor have I studied theology, so I go by faith". Ok, that sounds good to Christians and probably people of other faiths, but to non-believers it's a bit weak. I know many books have been written on these subjects, but most that I've read (don't get me started on Ken Ham - talk about weak writing!) make painful jumps in logic about as credible as my brother the Atheist's jump in logic from chapter 4. What scientific data exists to support Creationism? Is there any? Can anyone really refute Evolution?

No comments: