Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A book for all people?

My brother has written a book. I'm not sure if it's a good book or not. I've seen excerpts, seen the front and back cover, the table of contents, etc. It's supposed to be humorous - which I don't doubt - he's a funny guy (a favorite past time at family gatherings is for he and I to get everyone else laughing so hard tears are flowing and "accidents" might be happening).

He's an atheist - is that supposed to be capitalized, like Muslim or Christian? I don't know, so to prevent anyone from getting upset with me I'll capitalize it from now on.

OK, he's an Atheist. So, what's the big deal? Not much - unless you're worried about his eternal soul. Obviously I'm a Christian - my wife and I are the only ones in my immediate family. Again, not a big deal for our regular interactions - we love them and have no doubt they love us. We don't agree on some things, we agree on others. Our core difference is a big one.

So this book he's written - it's funny (I hope). It's not a slam on Christianity specifically - it's a humorous poke at all religions. Islam - he mocks it. Scientology - he mocks it. Judaism - he mocks it. Christianity - he mocks it. The list goes on and on. Some might be over the line, some might be funny. But he's also raises hard questions - many that most of us believers (regardless of what we believe in) probably don't want to address.

It seems like the kind of book where in one chapter I'll be cheering him on, while in another I'll be railing against him. Discussion is bound to be spurred on by my Atheist brother.

His book will be available within a week. You can visit his website at http://toenailsbook.com/. I've put some of the content up on this site as well. Comments and feedback are appreciated - of course if you read his book I'll value your feedback a little more!

I'm trying to get some pages posted, along with the cover art and table of contents. I'm having trouble with the TOC, but the rest should help you better understand what we're getting into. WHen the book is published I'll get a few more pages online. But you can always buy the book yourself to read it in its entirty -like reading any book you'll want to get the complete view before commenting too much. And I'll review the comments - not for content but for spam - before allowing them to post. No point in letting the spam machines fill up the cyberspace any more than they already do!

2 comments:

Thom said...

I think humor can be found in all subjects--even "sacred" subjects--and that sometimes it's a healthy exercise to laugh at the things that frighten you. (Shades of Harry Potter standing up to a bogart.) In this case: organized religion. I wouldn't say I poke fun at religion itself, more at some of the tenets, traditions, and taboos.
There's a big difference between playfully teasing your little sister and maliciously pulling her hair.

chascates said...

We live in a time when the religious charlatans insist on setting the social & political agendas. With no regard for logic, science, or disagreement they bring war, discord, and bad music!
If I can figure out how to order this book I'm sure I'll find it cuts through their desperate dogma with Thom's logic and great humor!