Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Does this work both ways?

In my brother the Atheist's introduction and throughout his book he talks about his negative perception of Christians spreading the word of God... why do they do this? Why don't they leave us all alone? Who cares about God? Please don't pray in public or say grace over dinner in a public place! Don't trash my beliefs - just leave me alone! It goes on and on. Yet in the introduction he's fast to say he's not trying to convert anyone away from their belief system, just to explain his own. But then he says "Of course, part of explaining my beliefs is to tell you why I think you're wrong and why I think your religion is false and deceitful". Hmmm... seems like he's using the same techniques he's opposed to to drive his own beliefs into the readers mind. I mean why is it OK for someone to use this technique and not for someone else to use the same technique? Hypocrisy is a strong word - so maybe it's not that. Maybe he's not aware that he's basically doing the same things in this book that he despises Christians for doing? I see that a lot these days from politicians, "news media", left/right leaning people, etc. More and more are angry and mean spirited in their disagreements. Something happened in the 90's where people stopped disagreeing and instead decided to belittle each other when they didn't land on the same page. It's amazing how many news shows (Fox News, MSNBC, CNN) trash other shows for something and then do the same exact thing. Have you ever watched O'Reilly and Olberman? These guys are the same - except one is left leaning and one is right leaning. But both spout gunt across the airwaves.

And yes, I used the word Christians previously because after reading through the book I really think the issues discussed are all related to Christians and not other faiths. I don't see much commentary on Scientology, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc... not even much commentary on Judaism. It's pretty slanted as a negative discussion about Christians. I've got to dig deeper into this, but the main point I'm getting from the introduction is that Christianity is made up, my brother the Atheist is mad that anyone would believe in Christianity, and therefore he's going to spend the next 200 pages making light of people's beliefs while sharing his own, and pointing to several examples of Christians who have gone out of their way to misrepresent the truth OR have upset him with their methods. I have to reread the book to get a better grip on some of the points, but this is my initial view. Of course, after you read the book feel free to tell me if I'm off base.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your brother (the Humorist, the Graphic Artist, with the Lovely & Intelligent Wife--always using 'the Ateist' is getting a little wordy) probably chose to exam the nature of Christianity predominately as it was in that milieu he was raised. He mentions this in his book and does reference other religions. I feel his book is a reasoned explanation of his beliefs and not a screed. Perhaps his emphasis on the annoying nature of proselytizers is due to their unrelenting and aggressive manner. Knowing your brother as you do (and he you) I'm sure this doesn't apply to you. I don't believe he is mad at anyone who has religious beliefs, just amazement and sadness. That's exactly how I feel. I nod my head as a courtesy when others pray and am aware of my friends' religions and corresponding obligations. I have a Jewish friend who doesn't eat pork (or high calorie or much processed foods) and I'm always conscious of this and mention it if other friends invite her to dinner. I have several Catholic friends (believing and recovering) and I'm certainly not going to mention pedophilia in their presenceor allude to other such matters. Your brother is likewise well mannered but as I recall he, like Socrates, is bound to challenge someone on their beliefs and not just on religion. I recall him challenging me on many an occasion and I usually had to reexamine my statement if not my beliefs. No, your brother the thinker isn't out to hurt but to examine their statements tohim and cause them to examine them as well. The unexamined life is not worth living. I hope his book helps others to examine their beliefs as well.